In considering all aspects of tramp shipping and chartering, there is little doubt that Laytime provides the majority of disputes, both in arbitration and law. A detailed study of this subject includes many practical examples and calculations, together with a selective look at recent legal decisions on Laytime.
Course content (12 Lessons)
- A Description of Laytime — Its words and phrases
- Different Types of Laytime — Definite, Indefinite and Calculable — How are they calculated?
- Commencement of Laytime — Differences between tankers and dry cargo vessels — "Reachable on arrival" and WIBON — Time waiting for berth — Ready in all respects
- Notice of Readiness and the 'Arrived Ship'- When has a ship "arrived" — Validity of the NOR — Port versus berth charter parties
- Interruptions and Exceptions — What stops the laytime "clock" running? A closer look at Weather, Strikes, Lockouts, Breakdowns on ship/shore, SHEX/FHEX, SHINC/FHINC and many other terms
- The Four D's — Demurrage (including a study of Time Bar Clauses) — Damages for Detention — Despatch (including the difference between "working time" and "all time" — Deadfreight
- Charter Party Laytime Clauses — Tanker charter parties: Asbatankvoy, STBVoy, Exxonvoy, Asba II, Shellvoy and BeePeeVoy — Dry cargo charter parties: Gencon, Norgrain, Baltimore Form C, Centrocon, Austwheat and Amwelsh
- Special Clauses — other Charter Party clauses that affect laytime calculations — Draft surveys — Documents — Bills of Lading — Pumping — Cargo retention — Deviation — Shifting — Heating
- Practical Laytime — Step-by-step guide to preparing a timesheet — Timesheet format — Tips worth noting — Examples
- Dry Cargo Laytime Calculations — Case study practical examples of typical timesheets preparation and laytime calculation
- Tanker Laytime Calculations — More case study examples in the tanker trades
- Collection of Demurrage and Despatch — We may earn it but can we collect it? — When is demurrage or despatch due? — How laytime disputes are handled by Tribunals and the Courts
Register your details here to receive further information about the course.